SEE THE STARS
Virtual Field Trip: Observatory & Planetarium
Materials needed: empty paper tube (from paper towels, toilet paper or wrapping paper), tape, pin or sharp pencil.
1. Print the constellations for your telescope tube. (See file resource below.)
2. Cut them each out a little bit larger than the circle drawn around each.
3. Tape them to the end of a paper towel tube.
4. Carefully poke holes where the stars (dots) are shown on the constellation picture, using a pin or sharp pencil.
5. Look through tube from the open end!
4. If you would like, try to shine a flashlight through the open end and shine the constellation on the wall of a darkly lit room. You may need to be very close to the wall. The constellations should appear projected on your wall.
Star Apps & Planispheres
You can make your own planisphere:
You can purchase an actual planisphere
you can look up one online or as an app on your mobile device...
With permission, visit these online planisphere options:
Put in date at the bottom: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/science/physics-and-astronomy/astronomy/virtual-planisphere
Some sample free apps to identify the stars above you:
(Star Walk, Star Guide, Sky View, Star Chart)